Sunday, May 31, 2009

NYC

I had the wonderful opportunity to go to New York City last week! I was able to attend the Frankie Manning 95th Birthday Festival; 5 wholes days of dancing with at least 2 live bands each night, not to mention classes, workshops, panel discussions, performances from dancers all over the world and over 2,000 participants in the Hammerstein Ballroom in Manhattan! I was able to meet a lot of great people from literally all over the world whose dancing skills were unbelievable! I have to admit that when I watched everyone dancing that first night I began to feel severely insecure about my level of dancing; since I've been in Norfolk I've gone dancing maybe 3 times. I had a wonderful time and definitely did not want the weekend to end, but a part of me kept thinking that while I've been dancing for many years, I don't quite fit in with this group of people who literally make dancing their lives. I only wish I could afford to go to tons of exchanges and go every day of the week.

This weekend reawakened in me the desire to go dancing as much as possible; it made me remember just how much I enjoyed it. I think I can honestly say that I was able to let go of everything this weekend when I was dancing. I was able to dance without caring about the steps, about my ability, about who was watching, about how ridiculous I might look, about what anyone watching or even my partner might think of me, it was the best feeling! It was the kind of thing that I've been trying to get back to, ever since college I've become so preoccupied about what I'm doing right and wrong and how that reflects on me and whomever else I may represent at the time, but it felt so good to just loose and have a great time. Here's hoping that this can infiltrate into my everyday life!

No comments: